Trail length and time required
350 meters altitude gain (2410 - 2760 m), 700 m climbing trail length, approx. 3 hours; 4 hours incl. descent to Langtalereck Hütte.
SAFETY ON THE VIA FERRATA
The Austrian Alpine Club has published 10 recommendations for climbing on via ferratas in order to increase safety:
- Plan carefully
- Destination should correspond to personal abilities
- Use complete set of professional climbing equipment
- Don’t access the route in the event of a thunderstorm
- Check wire rope and anchors accurately and critically
- Partner check at the access point
- Maintain sufficient distance
- Talk clearly when overtaking someone
- Watch out for falling rocks
- Respect nature and environment
EquipmentEquipment: helmet, harness and complete via ferrata climbing set, via ferrata gloves, appropriate climbing shoes, hiking poles for the descent (recommended).
Tips, hints and linksMore details about climbing in Ötztal:
Getting thereObergurgl is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
From Obergurgl you walk towards Langtalereck Hütte (2.5 hrs), keeping to the trail (no. 35) in direction Hochwilde Haus. After 20 minutes you reach the via ferrata access point (follow signposts).
ParkingIn Obergurgl the following parking facilities are available:
- Car park Village center Obergurgl (in front of the church on the right, behind the multi-purpose building where the information office is located)
- Parking lot with coin entrance Parking Place entrance - valley station Festkoglbahn, free of charge